Sunday, March 20, 2011
Do Something That Sticks
I am mostly speaking to all of the moms that read this, but this lesson I am learning is good for everyone. A few weeks ago I was looking around my house wondering how it could still look so messy when I had just spent so long cleaning it. It was a very frustrating feeling. Later that day, I had a conversation with a friend who beautifully described the way I was feeling. (She said she had learned all of this in a Relief Society workshop.) She made this comment to me. She said, "None of the work we do as moms sticks." It's so true. Everything you do all day long - the dishes, laundry, cleaning, cooking - you're just going to have to get up and do it all over again tomorrow. My friend said, "Sometimes I feel like I'm in the movie Groundhog Day. I'm just living the same day over and over." Don't we all feel that way sometimes? She said she learned in her workshop that we need to do something everyday that "sticks". It can be praying, reading scriptures, writing in journals, service, reading, scrapbooking, or any other hobby. I've been trying to do this, and I have discovered that it makes a difference in my life and how I feel about myself. It doesn't matter what the task is. I feel better about myself because I feel like I have done something that is at least going to take longer to undo than the time it took me to do it in the first place. I would like to extend this invitation to you my friends. Try to do something that "sticks" and then let me know if it makes a difference for you.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Thanks Cassie!! I appreciate that thought. It is so true. I will take that challenge to heart!!
I like that a lot. I guess I never really thought about it in that way, but the days I spend one on one time with my kids I feel like I've really done something. Maybe it's because that time together is something that "sticks."
Post a Comment